Entirely sympathetic story of a teacher who helped his students cheat.
October 29, 2008 - The news report begins, "Every year, the pressure of the TAKS test is just too much. Your kids fear they may fail and their teachers fear they may lose their jobs."
As state lawmakers consider making changes to the TAKS, News 4 Trouble Shooter Mireya Villarreal is breaking news of how the pressure of the TAKS pushed one teacher to do what he should never do: Help his students cheat.The reporterette Mireya Villarreal asked him about it.
News 4 obtained documents from the Texas Education Agency that show several local teachers under scrutiny because they didn't follow TAKS testing policy last spring. That includes one Northside School District teacher who said he gave his students answers all because the stress of the TAKS was too much to handle.
Do you feel like what you did was wrong," Villarreal asked.They asked him why.
Neesvig answered, "I broke a policy. I can't deny that. Do I regret what I did? Unfortunately, I would say I would do it over again the same way."
News 4 asked the teacher why he would do something that clearly broke test-taking policy. He claimed it has to do with the pressure to perform placed on students and teachers.Concluding sentence: After our interview with Burton Neesvig, we received notice he resigned from his teaching position.
Neesvig said, "A lot of emphasis is placed on the TAKS test. And I think it doesn't necessarily have the best outcome for the children or the teachers."
--------------------
TT - The students were in his fourth grade math class. The school was Thorton Elementary School. There was little need to cheat. Students would have scored well by themselves.
In 2007-2008 this school was acknowledged by the Texas Education Agency for the following
Commended Performance in Reading/English Language Arts, Mathematics, Writing, Science, and Reading/English Language Arts. They have performed similarly well in previous years.
In 2007-2008 in Math 96% of fourth graders met or exceeded standards.
The State average was 83%.
Students score similarly well in all the grades and in all areas. They exceeded the state average in 2005, 2006, and 2007.
Why would a teacher provide answers to students who didn't need them? Teachers and teacher unions in Texas are adamantly opposed to TAKS. Like most tests, the examinations rate the performance of the teacher more than the student because they measure what is being taught. And, more importantly, not taught. Which is why the unions and their political allies have tried to undermine the tests for years.
A student turned the teacher in. Something you suspect the reporterette would never have done.