Wednesday, August 13, 2008

Byron Center, MICHIGAN

When we say that students are excoriated when they step forward, we aren't kidding. Some of the most vicious remarks come from the sources you would least expect.

See comments at this story. And, especially this from a self-described "parent, child advocate, and teacher."

WOW! What about this case does make sense?
1. The charge? unclothed-NO
2. The proof? a disgruntled, failing student-well then
3. An individual with no history of questionable behavior

As a parent, child advocate, and teacher, I feel sickened by the charge and the verdict. I have witnessed "witch hunts" against both students and teachers. IT COULD HAPPEN TO ANYONE! I believe that administrators fear public outcry and react. Children have observed situations in the media and have learned to manipulate facts to suit their purpose. And frightened (or vendictive) parents believe their children. I probably would have believed mine! Another concern is for the "victim." When she begins to consider the consequences of her lies, her mental health will suffer? Where are the morals in the prosecutor, "victim," and administrators who know this to be false.
----------------------
TT - The teacher who was convicted is Steven Sanger. A jury took two hours to find him guilty of attempting to capture or distribute an image of an unclothed person. During closing arguments in the trial, his defense attorney said witnesses were mistaken in what they saw.

Four students testified that they saw the incident. The prosecution said they found other "up-skirt" photos that were shot in his classroom. A school secretary testified that she saw him wandering around distraught and muttering to himself: "I think I went too far this time." "He said he wasn't sure if he'd taken the picture or not," she said. TT entry for Sanger.

Makes you sad that a self-described teacher can't spell vindictive when he or she is so clearly in need of understanding what the word means. But it also makes you appreciate why students hesitate to come forward to report wrongdoing. You have to be hero material to want to put yourself through that kind of viciousness.

To those students and their families, thank you for doing the right thing.