Friday, January 11, 2008

Charleston, SOUTH CAROLINA

Jan 11, 2008 - Charles Long, a science and reading teacher at James Island Middle School, was arrested, apparently on allegations that date back to the 1980s.

No further information. No other online stories. No press release from the Charleston County Sheriff's Office. Story was taken from the Charleston County School District Statement.

Long's biography at the school web site lists his education and employment.

I taught High School for 4 years. I was also Headmaster of Country Day/St. Paul's Academy for 4 years. For 20 years I taught 4th and 5th grade at Stono Park Elementary and Springfield Elementary School. I am beginning my 7th year at James Island Middle School.

In 1986 I was selected South Carolina Teacher of the Year!

In addition to teaching, I am the Director/Founder of The Charleston Youth Company, Inc. - a performing arts program for students in grades 4-12. This year marks 28 years that I have been working with students in the arts.

I completed my B.S. degree in Business Administration and Economics from Newberry College in 1972; my MAT in Seconday School Administration from The Citadel in 1976; my 2nd Masters in Middle and Elementary Education from the College of Charleston. I am Highly Qualified in Reading and Language Arts and have taught Science for 25 of my 34 years of teaching experience.