Wednesday, May 28, 2008

Loveland, COLORADO

"I’m here more just to give a message. These things are not OK and they have to stop." - The girl who was 16 at the time Gaylor sexually assaulted her.

He has a 14-year-old daughter.

Dec 14, 2007 - Michael Gaylor, 41, a sixth-grade social studies teacher at Walt Clark Middle School, was arrested and charged with sexual assault, a class 4 felony.

Sgt. Benjamin Hurr of the Loveland Police Department said the girl contacted police Tuesday. The girl is 16-years-old. No other details available.

Anyone with information pertinent to this investigation or information regarding Gaylor is being asked to contact Detective Gerardo Cortina at (970) 962-2253

PERMISSION TO SEE HIS OWN CHILD Dec 20 - Gaylor has asked a judge for permission to see his own child for the Christmas holidays. The conditions of his bond restrict from contact with anyone younger than 18, including his own child. The judge will decide on Friday.

Dec 21 - Larimer County District Court Judge James Hiatt allowed Gaylor contact with his 14-year-old daughter in the presence of another adult. Hiatt said he’d be quicker to side with Gaylor on this matter if there wasn’t a question of the daughter’s involvement in the case. But that involvement also has not been proven. The judge also approved travel outside the state. Hiatt's wife and father were in the courtroom Friday.

Gaylor will not be allowed to return to his home because it is too close to the victim's home. There is a question as to whether Gaylor's daughter witnessed the alleged incident. She was in the room, a deputy district attorney said, but investigators do not know what she saw.

The judge will unseal the case Feb 1. “The court's business ought to be done in the light of day,” Judge Hiatt said, noting that this is especially so in cases that draw public interest and concern.
“When no one cares we make it public, but when there is interest, we seal it.”

Jan 17, 2008 - Prosecutors filed two additional counts of unlawful sexual contact against Gaynor. They would not say which school the other victims attended.

GUILTY PLEA March 13, 2008 - Gaylor pleaded guilty to attempted sexual exploitation of a minor, a class 4 felony, and sexual assault with a 10-year age difference, a class 1 misdemeanor. Once sentenced, he will serve between six and 12 months in jail and must serve 10 years in a sex offender intensive supervision program.

Also see The Coloradoan story.

SENTENCED May 28 - Gaylor was sentenced to one year in jail - not prison - and 10 years supervised probation for sexually assaulting an underage girl.

“I am sorry,” Gaylor, a former Walt Clark Middle School social studies teacher, said, his eyes welling with tears. “I fully accept responsibility for my action. I sexually abused a young girl. I took advantage of my position without any regard for her. I realize I have taken the innocence of my victim.

“I do have multiple secondary victims. My victim’s family has been changed, wondering why and how their neighbor and friend targeted their daughter and sister. My former students are victims. They will forever question their relationships with their teachers.”
The girl did not want sympathy. "And I want to send a message to those girls who have had this kind of thing happen to them before that they’re not hopeless and they’re not victims. They do have the strength to stand up for themselves.”