Wednesday, March 12, 2008

Lakewood, OHIO

QUOTE OF THE DAY

William Rabel, spoke in his own defense at his sentencing hearing.

When given a chance to speak, Rabel told the judge that his life has been destroyed by his bad judgement. The teacher, who lost his license and took up waiting tables at a restaurant, said he attempted suicide in the past year to protect his family and friends from further pain and humiliation.

"As a mentor, I should have been there to protect (the victim)," Rabel said, his lower lip quivering. "And this must have caused her so much pain and heartache. But I know she's strong, and I hope she can move past this and live a wonderful and productive life."

Rabel asked the judge for lenience and said that the death of his career and the social stigma of being branded a sex offender in perpetuity would be punishment enough.
The judge disagreed and sentenced him to two years in prison and registration for life as a sex offender.

Rabel was married with two children. TT entry.